Kopernikus Hotel Prag is located in the city centre. The hotel opened for the first time in 1929, so it is one of the oldest hotels in Belgrade and one of the ones with longer tradition. The hotel was built in several stages, starting from 1929, 1936 and 1978.
The beauty of the building itself and the specific architectural modernism of the 20th century in Europe, positioned it as one of the buildings under the safe-keeping of the Institute for Protection of Cultural Monuments.
Even after a complete renovation, Kopernikus Hotel Prag in Belgrade has maintained its traditional hospitality, warmth and cordiality, typical for this region. The spirit of the old, bohemian Belgrade, which is present in the Kopernikus Hotel Prag, will return you to the glorious times of our capital, as it is located in downtown, within walking distance of major attractions, monuments, institutions, entertainment and shopping.
The hotel was built by the architect Djura Borošić, in one of the most famous shopping streets of the centre of Belgrade. It was exhibited at the first Salon of Architecture in 1929 and in an exhibition of Yugoslavian modern architecture in 1939 as a beautiful work of art deco style. Kopernikus Hotel Prag was built in the period from May to November 1929 and was officially opened in December the same year.
Originally, the Kopernikus Hotel Prag had two entrances - the main entrance from Kraljice Natalije street and the second one from Balkanska street. That entrance became a café; the main entrance is designed just to receive our guests and leads directly into the hotel hall where the main staircase is. Therefore, it has great importance on the process of getting out from the crowd.
Thus, at the Kopernikus Hotel Prag in Belgrade, the main entrance and the stairwell towers are surfaced in artificial marble, and the facade is made with terracotta andartificial stone.
Later, in 1936, the hotel was renovated twice. Earlier this year, carried a slight internal refurbishment and the extension of the parapet 1 meter, but at the end of 1936 began a comprehensive work on the hotel. It was performed to add the hotel from Balkanska street and expand the restaurant space, opening the third entry. This entrance was probably then, like today, the one leading to the official premises (workshops, laundry, kitchen), that were completely separated from public areas of the hotel.
When it was built, the hotel had four floors with seven rooms, which offered magnificent views on Sremska ravnica, Topčider and Avala. During renovation in 1936 six more rooms were built on each floor. The fifth floor and a part of the mansard were built as well.
Kopernikus Hotel Prag in Belgrade, according to the technical documentation, provides its guests exclusive accommodation in a single room, which is totally in line with the fact that the building is located in the city core and that its services were mainly aimed at business people.
Shared toilets and one bathroom were made on each floor, which complied with standards of the architecture of the hotel at the time the design joined toilets and one bathroom, which suited the contemporary standards of hotel architecture. Namely, except for the guests who stayed at the apartments, the luxury of having the private bathroom was not predicted for interwar hotels, only the number of shared sanitary facilities varied depending on the rank of the object itself.