Kopernikus Hotel Prag is located in the city centre. The hotel was opened in 1929, becoming one of the oldest hotels in Belgrade and with a longer tradition. It was built in several stages, starting in 1929, continuing in 1936 and finishing in 1978.
The beauty of the building itself and the specific architectural modernism of the 20th century in Europe, positioned it as one of the buildings under the safe-keeping of the Institute for Protection of Cultural Monuments.
Even after a complete renovation, Kopernikus Hotel Prag in Belgrade kept its traditional hospitality, warmth and cordiality, typical for this region. The spirit of the old, bohemian Belgrade, which is present in the Kopernikus Hotel Prag, will takes you back to the glorious times of the capital. Our hotel was built by the architect Djura Borošić, in one of the most famous shopping streets of the centre of Belgrade. It was exhibited at the first Hall of Architecture in 1929 and at the exhibition of Yugoslav modern architecture in 1939 as a beautiful work of art deco style.
Kopernikus Hotel Prag was built between May and November 1929 and was officially opened in December the same year.
Originally, the Kopernikus Hotel Prag had two entrances - the main entrance from Kraljice Natalije street and the second one from Balkanska street, which became a café. The main entrance is designed just to receive guests and leads directly into the hotel lobby and the main staircase, it is of a great importance to stad out.
Thus, at the Kopernikus Hotel Prag in Belgrade, the main entrance and the staircase towers are clad in artificial marble, and the facade is made with terracotta andartificial stone.
Later, in 1936, the hotel was renovated twice. Earlier this year, carried a slight internal reform and the extension of 1 meter parapet, but at the end of 1936 began a comprehensive work on the hotel. It was performed to add the hotel from Balkanska street and expand the restaurant space, opening the third entry. This entrance was probably then, as today, the one leading to the official premises (workshops, laundry, kitchen), that were completely separated from public areas of the hotel.
When it was built, the hotel had four floors with seven rooms, which offered magnificent views on Sremska ravnica, Topčider and Avala. During renovation in 1936 six more rooms were built on each floor. The fifth floor and a part of the mansard were built as well.
Kopernikus Hotel Prag in Belgrade, according to the technical documentation, provides its guests exclusive accommodation in a single room, which is totally in line with the fact that the building is located in the city core and that its services were mainly aimed at business people.
Shared toilets and one bathroom were made on each floor, which conformed to the standards of the hotel architecture of the time are jointly designed toilets and one bathroom, which conformed the contemporary standards of hotel architecture. Namely, except for the guests who stayed at the apartments, the luxury of having the private bathroom was not foreseen for interwar hotels, only the number of shared sanitary facilities varied depending on the range of the object itself.